SCCU.com : Personal Accounts : Checking Accounts : HSA Checking
HSA Checking Account
A Health Savings Account is an interest-bearing, tax-advantaged savings account designed to help individuals who have high deductible health plans save for future, qualified medical expenses. Please refer to the "Features" section below for more information.
- SCCU currently offers an interest-bearing HSA Checking Account
- Access your funds via a free, specially-marked Visa® debit card or checks.
- No monthly service fees
- No minimum balance requirements
- You may designate beneficiaries (but no joint owners)
Important information regarding eligibility for and management of HSA accounts:
- You must have coverage under a High Deductible Health Plan
- You may not be covered by any health plan that is not an HDHP (exceptions exist for insurance that covers accidents, disability, dental care, vision care, long-term care and other "permitted insurance.")
- You must not be enrolled in Medicare
- You may not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
- You must comply with the guidelines for annual contribution limits.
- You must understand and manage your contributions and distributions. The financial institution holding your account is not responsible for advising you regarding compliance with these requirements.
- You should keep all receipts for expenses made from the Health Savings Checking account in case they are needed during an audit.
- You do not lose the funds in your Health Savings Checking account if they are not used within the year.
- You may make contributions to your HSA account for the previous tax year until April 15th or the tax deadline.
- HSA funds can pay for any qualified medical expense. This includes most medical care and services, and dental and vision care. Refer to IRS Pub 502 (available at www.irs.gov) for a partial list. To be an expense for medical care, the expense has to be primarily for the prevention or alleviation of a physical or mental defect or illness.
- Your HSA funds may not be used to make loan payments or as collateral for a loan
- Overdraft protection is not offered with this account. Non-sufficient funds fees will be assessed if the account is overdrawn.
Additional information is available from the U.S. Government Office of Public Affairs and CUNA Mutual Group by following the links provided below. These are provided as general information only. Your employer or a tax adviser can help you determine if you are eligible to open an HSA and provide you with the contribution limits that apply to your situation.
*Debit card will be issued subject to our usual credit criteria.
Open your SCCU Health Savings Account and be among the first to rate this new product!
Opening your checking account is fast and easy! You can open an account:
An Express Associate can help you select the checking account that best meets your needs. Deposit Account services are available Monday - Friday, 8 am - 6:30 pm and Saturdays 9 am - 3 pm.
Current SCCU Members:
At this time, online account opening is not available for checking. Please call Express Sales.
Prospective SCCU Members:
Submit a secure Online Membership Application and indicate which checking account you would like to open. An Express Associate will contact you by close of the next business day to complete the application process. NOTE: the online application is not required; you may call Express Sales and apply for membership and open your checking account over the phone.
At Any Branch
Visit any of SCCU's convenient branch locations. You'll speak to an Express Associate using the in-branch phone located in a private Express Booth, and can complete all of the paperwork with your Branch Member Service Specialist immediately after your call.